Project Breakdown Structure
Manage your big projects with ease
As projects grow in size and complexity, you need a system that can scale with them.
The Project Breakdown Structure as part of Adeaca Project Business Automation enables you to manage large and difficult projects efficiently and with unprecedented control.
Tame your big projects
Manage large projects through a seamless super-structure of embedded projects
The Project Breakdown Structure (PBS) provides another level of project organization beyond what the typical work breakdown structure (WBS) and cost breakdown structure (CBS) can provide.
- Break down large complex projects into more manageable embedded projects that can be run concurrently by separate project teams or managers.
- Create more transparency and clear areas of accountability across the entire project for greater control.
- An embedded-project has its own WBS and CBS, including its own team, budget, timeline, resource pool, risk register, KPIs and more.
- Any number of embedded-projects can be created to accommodate the super-structure of a single large project.
Why you need a PBS
Do you have several project managers or controllers working on different parts of the same project?
Do you need to track costs, profits and operational performance separately for different departments, divisions, or business units working on the same project?
Do you have projects with several phases executed over long periods of time?
If you answer yes to any of these questions, you need a PBS.
How it Works: Adeaca PBA Project Breakdown Structure
Embedded Project Cost Breakdown Structures
Create financial clarity and manageability in your big projects.
- One title account in the costing sheet can embed another project cost breakdown structure (CBS)
- Managers/controllers work on their parts of the budget separately and concurrently
- Users can only access their designated CBS
- Key financial metrics are summarized instantly
- Budgets, costs and margins are managed and tracked at the appropriate level and with independent controls
- Increases project team autonomy and financial accountability
Embedded Project Work Breakdown Structures
Manage big project work with precision and transparency.
- One title task in a project’s WBS can embed another project WBS
- Planners/managers work on their parts of the project separately and concurrently
- Users can only access their designated WBS
- Instantly summarize work estimates, durations, milestones and deadlines
- Parent and embedded schedules sync automatically
- Workflows are detailed enough for each title task owner yet manageable across the entire project
- Creates clear areas of work responsibility
How to use a PBS
A PBS takes the typical work breakdown structure and cost breakdown structure deeper, breaking up large projects even further to make them more manageable across the organization.
- Assign big project components down to lower levels for independent management and clear areas of responsibility.
- Long projects with different phases can be broken up into different projects executed at different times while keeping the larger project timeline entact.
- Departments, divisions, or even different entities can manage their costs and schedules of the project separately while automatically rolling up to the higher project level.
How the PBS brings value to your organization
Better Cost Control
The PBS allows you to manage your budget at the detail required for optimal control while maintaining executive oversight. Real-time project financial metrics tracked separately in embedded projects create more accurate forecasts for the business units and drive costs down through enhanced manageability.
Enhanced Risk Readiness
The PBS creates greater transparency and accountability. With more granular controls placed into the hands of managers at the appropriate level, issues are identified faster and can be resolved more readily within the project super-structure.
With a PBS, project managers and task owners have complete control over their components while fitting into the overall structure of a large project. The result is a more effective and efficient workflow at every level of management that delivers more projects on time.
Feature Brief: Project Breakdown Structure
Download the Project Breakdown Structure feature brief to learn more and discover what it can do for your company.
What you will learn:
- What is a PBS and why should you use it
- How does a PBS work
- Scenarios and use cases for PBS
- A close look at PBS within Adeaca PBA
- Specific examples of a PBS
- What value can a PBS bring to your organization
If you are a project-based company in architecture, engineering and construction, ETO/contract manufacturing or professional services delivering large projects to your clients, you need this brief.
See what Adeaca PBA's Project Breakdown Structure can do for your company
Build and manage your projects the right way
We can show you how a Project Breakdown Structure works and how it can be applied to your company’s requirements.
The Project Business Automation Blueprint
The Definitive Guide to a creating a comprehensive business system for project-based companies
What you will learn:
- The problem PBA solves and why it is needed
- Core elements of PBA and how they work
- How you can enhance PBA for your company
- The business case for PBA
- What PBA means for the future of Project Business
If you are in architecture, engineering and construction, ETO/contract manufacturing or professional services, you need this Blueprint.
Find answers to your questions
Discover more or engage with our project business experts.
The Project Business Automation Blueprint is the definitive guide to PBA and how you can set up a comprehensive business system for your project-based company.
Request a Demo
See a high-level overview of our Project Business Automation cloud solution for Microsoft Dynamics 365 Finance. Learn how it works and what the benefits are for your industry.